September 16, 2019, 11:18:04 PM

Author Topic: A Reluctant Compromise  (Read 278 times)

Marquis

A Reluctant Compromise
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
February 1st, 2018
Los Angeles, California

The papers were there. Right in front of them both.

Bryan had been in contact, or made contact, with another company about bringing their tag team in. Things hadn’t been going so well with their current venture, and Persephone had her old trainer back in her life. He wasn’t about to let her focus on tag team wrestling, not in 4CW at least.

Bryan sighed, as he sat on her couch. The two had spent the night at her home, which had been increasing more and more as the weeks turned into months. Bryan hadn’t even really been to his apartment in the last few days.

“It’s all there, I mean, it looks fine to me. All up to you really, and if you think you could manage it.”

Bryan looked over at Persephone, who had the contract in her hands. The light showing off her fresh bumps and bruises. Bryan grimaced, he hadn’t liked the idea of somebody else training her. Even less happy about the condition she had been leaving since starting this new training.

“You’d think he would go for it?” He asked, voicing his concern.

Persephone thought for a moment, sighing to herself as she placed the contract down on the coffee table in front of them. It was a good question. Technically speaking, there was no reason for him to complain considering that the Sadboiz would no longer be competing in 4CW for the moment. An entirely different company, it should be fine. However, she knew for a fact that Joseph didn’t work in loopholes. He wasn’t a walking contract.

“I think the best thing to do is just shoot now, worry about the body later. Or however that saying goes.” She finally responded, more into the idea of not having to call her trainer to find out his opinion. It was her career, her choice. Also, she had been curious about the company in question for quite some time. It would be interesting, to say the least.

“So, fuck him, I’ll do what I want. Hand me a pen.” She said, as she reached for the pen herself. Just as she grabbed it, her phone began to ring upon the table; “stupid asshole” flashing across the screen.

“Who’s stupid asshole?”

“Joseph.” She huffs out, clearly annoyed. She pursed her lips for a moment. “I’m not going to answer it.”

Much like she said, she watched the phone ring. However, she didn’t exactly make any moves to sign the contract she had been so confident to ink her name upon a few moments ago.

“Don’t let him ruin a good thing though.” Bryan said, looking down at the coffee table. Despite saying this, however, he knew that things had been complicated. Bryan sighed, as the phone finally stopped vibrating.

“I’m going to have a talk with him, he needs to chill out anyway. What’s he want, to train you tonight? Fuck that, you guys already had a rough workout this morning. He keeps pushing you and there’s not going to be anything left to push.”

Bryan was stern, his voice becoming annoyed at the thought of it all. He knew, he had been there in that position before. Pushing his body to the absolute limit, all before it would crumble and break down. Persephone looked at the floor, as Bryan thought for a moment. “I mean, is this what you want?”

She looked up, unsure of what he meant.

“What do you mean?” Confusion in her voice. Bryan sighed, clearly thinking of how to say this. His hands cross his face, as he sternly rubs his chin in frustration.

Reaching out, he pulls her hands into his. “Look, I know how much of a fighter you are. I know how much of a competitor you are, and I know that these last few months have been tough. You haven’t done what you wanted, but do you think that Joseph is the answer?” He pauses. “I’m thinking long-term here, Persephone. What happens when he runs you into the ground? What happens when he just tosses you away? He doesn’t give a shit about your career.”

Persephone looked at Bryan incredulously; it was a new thought that she hadn’t really considered, which might have seemed strange. Never once, in her entire career, from the start of knowing Joseph, did the idea of him not caring about her career cross her mind. She shook her head.

“If he doesn’t give a shit about my career, why put in all of this extra effort; why go through the trouble at all?” And perhaps there was a lot to gain when you’re the trainer of a successful wrestler, the trainer of a champion. Maybe that was why he pushed her so hard. She frowned.

Everything he’s done has been for the betterment of my career. Anything to get better, you have to give it your all. I know this might look bad, but you should’ve seen how it was when he first started training me. It was a lot worse.“” And that was probably a lie. No, it was; he didn’t care so much back that. The larger her name became, the more harshly he trained her. She looked down at the palm of her hands; tiny small scars from years ago, when he told her to stop getting manicures.

Persephone looked at Bryan, a glare on her expression the more she thought about it. She refused to accept that she was going through all of this training conducted by someone who didn’t give a shit about her career.

“That makes no sense. Of course he cares about my career.” She snapped, not letting Bryan get a word in as she grabbed her phone; getting Joseph’s contact up as she selected call. She put it on speaker, waiting for her trainer to answer. However, after a few moments, he didn’t pick up and she frowned; grabbing her phone.

“What kind of stupid bitch calls and then doesn’t answer when you try to call back?” She looked at Bryan, pouting. “Now I’m just highly about about this entire situation You always gotta say something.

“I say something because I care.” Bryan states matter of factly. His arms are crossed, as he leans back into the couch. Somewhere Tank has hopped up onto a counter, as he looks on.

“You came home with a split lip and several bruises, the other day. You think I’m really just gonna sit back and let him beat on you like that?” Persephone shook her head, clearly trying to clear the confusion. Bryan was set in his mindset though, to him she had been wronged. As far as he was concerned that was a matter that needed to be settled.

Her phone hadn’t rang, Bryan sat back up to look out of the window. A harsh tone to his voice. “Let him show up here, I’ll show him what’s up.” Persephone groaned, standing up to pull Bryan away from the window. Nobody had driven up, no cars had passed down the street. For right now, it was just the two of them.

Bryan looked down at the contract. “This, this is just fun for us. A chance to travel more, and spend more time together. If he’s out there hurting you, that impacts the both of us.” Bryan shakes his head. “If he really wanted to better your career he’d see that.”

Bryan sighs, running his hand through his hair. “I want to see you come back from all of this, I really do. I’ve been trying to help, but I know you need to do things your own way. I don’t think this is the right way to do it.”

Persephone didn’t like this conversation, but she couldn’t think of a way to change the topic at all. She went back to the couch, sitting down and putting her head in her hands. When did she get like this? She used to do things so easily without a second opinion, but she just felt so unsure these days. She can’t find good footing, and all she knew was that whenever this would try to sneak up before, Joseph could always steady her out. A part of her knew that she should just listen to Bryan, and to go with it. Have fun, let time between the two of them settle smoothly and without rush or tension. It would be nice.

Bryan was still out of his seat, pacing back and forth. Persephone let her hands fall, closing her eyes and shaking her head before looking up at Bryan. “Babe, can you come sit down? He’s not going to come, it’s fine. Even if he does, you can’t fucking fight him. He’s my trainer at the end of the day, no matter what you feel like his end goals are. I’ve been under his wing from the start and, feel any sort of way, I’ve had my moments of success with him. And failure without him.”

Persephone frowned, as Bryan made his way back to the couch. He sat down next to her, never breaking eye contact as she spoke. She could see, he wasn’t happy about it, but she hadn’t been happy with her 4CW career as of late and she wanted to change that. She thought Joseph, with his unconventional methods and nearly abuse tactics when you were outside looking in - she felt he was the way. “You don’t have to respect him, but respect me with this, okay? Just trust that I’ve got this and if I feel like it’s too much, I’ll stop. Okay?”

She had felt like she calmed Bryan slightly on the subject, her willingness to cut everything off should it become too much being enough to appease him for the moment - or at least for a second. The doorbell rings and it caught his attention immediately as he stood from the couch. Persephone stood seated, her body much preferring that. “Bryan, wait a second.”

There was quiet, in the home, and between the two that could have lasted forever. Persephone sat there, worrying, wondering what was happening. Bryan had stepped out, she hadn’t heard a single word uttered from him yet. There was nothing to tell her what was happening.

“Bryan?” She called out, but there was no answer.

She waited a few moments, again calling out to him. “Bryan!”

Somebody stepped through the doorway, catching her by surprise. She jumped a bit, Bryan walked back in with a sour look on his face. He closed the door behind him.

“Fuckin’ kids.” He muttered, under his breath. Persephone looked up at him, her eyes almost like saucer plates. She was worried, and Bryan took noticed. His face softened, as he spoke. “It was nothing, kids running around ringing doorbells.”

Bryan sighed, rubbing his hand through his hair. Persephone sank back into her couch, as Bryan soon joined her. He was tense, she was tense. They could both feel it in the room. Bryan put his arm around her, trying to calm her down.

“I’m sorry, Persephone. I just don’t want to see you hurt.” He said, softly. There was no point in keeping this anger, this built up tension inside of him. She was going to do her thing, no matter what. What she thought was good for her, she knew best. Bryan had to understand this.

Besides, she wouldn’t let herself get fucked. If it ever came to it, she would do what was necessary to protect herself.

“Look, if this is what you want to do then I’ll respect that. I won’t like it, but I’ll understand. I trust you, okay?” Trust, protection, it was all important in a relationship. Bryan couldn’t be hurt, not again. Not with something important like this.

He sank back into the couch, as Persephone leaned into him. Her head resting on his chest, slowly raising up and down with each breath that he took. She relaxed, relieve to see no conflict taking place tonight. She didn’t want to deal with it, not with everything else going on.

It shouldn’t have been so serious, but it obviously was to her and Bryan for his own reasons. There were a few doubts in the air, this eventually confrontation that had to happen eventually. She knew she shouldn’t allow Joseph complete control of her career, and that she would have to decide some things for herself.

She just hated the looks of disappointment, hated being called an idiot; the amount of times that she had been told to use her fucking head endless. The condescending belittlement, the screaming matches that would take place. She had always been told she didn’t know better, by everyone around her. Joseph with his frown, a shake of his head and a heavy sigh; it always stung a bit - but it didn’t hurt her as much as it hurt to see Bryan so upset over it all.

“Hey kid,” she looked up at him from her spot on his chest. “This conversation was kind of shitty, you know? He doesn’t matter when it comes to the two of us and what we have going. Just me and you, right?”

She pushed away from his chest, grabbing the pen and signing her name on the contract as Bryan watched her. She looked at him, a grin on her face. She’d have to straighten everything out in her life until it was balanced, until everything was cohesive. A few days out of the week, she would have to take the time; set it all out and piece it together. Right now, though? She handed Bryan the pen.

“Sign the contract, my kid. I’m down to do anything with you, no matter what.”

Bryan took the pen into his hand, looking down at the contract. Without hesitation he wrote his signature down, signing the marked portions for his name. It was an easy decision, be with her. Wrestle with her. Travel with her.

Doing anything with her, really.

With that, he leaned back in the couch, Persephone taking her previous position. Bryan relaxed, finally. The tension of the night melting away, with her touch. “Alright, it’s done. Give it a few days, and we’ll hear back.”

“Sounds like a plan, what now?” She asked him, looking up at him.

Bryan thought for a moment, pondering the question. He looked around the home, seeing his stuff scattered around. He saw Tank, in the corner as he pawed away at an insect. He looked over, Junior and Kyle Young sleeping next to each other on the floor.

What now?

“Let’s just enjoy this.” He says, leaning over to kiss her forehead. She smiled, hugging him closer. “I love you.”

“Love you too.”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:25:44 PM by Marquis »