November 14, 2019, 12:33:54 PM

Author Topic: I walk on water, but only when it’s frozen.  (Read 216 times)

Offline Riley Savell

I walk on water, but only when it’s frozen.
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »
Why are expectations so high?
Is it the bar I set?
My arms, I stretch, but I can't reach
A far cry from it, or it's in my grasp, but as
Soon as I grab, squeeze
I lose my grip like the flyin' trapeze
Into the dark I plummet, now the sky's blackenin'
I know the mark's high, butterflies rip apart my stomach
Knowin' that no matter what bars I come with
You're gonna harp, gripe, and
That's a hard Vicodin to swallow, so I scrap these
As pressure increases like khakis
I feel the ice cracking?

October 4th
Hawaii

The scruff of boots across mats rings through the empty gym space,when they had purchased their home here, her first priority was a basement that could be converted into a training space for Riley… she had to admit she was pleased with how it had turned out. She also enjoyed not having to share space with anyone else, Riley had elected to switch the music off so she and Asher could talk some while he held pads for her. Every so often she would change up her combination and gently kick or poke at him with a smirk on her lips, kicking him a little harder when she caught him clean across the ass with a chuckle.

“Oops! My foot slipped…”

Asher rolled his eyes and leered playfully.

“I’m sure it did. It’s not like you’re known for your pinpoint accuracy or anything. I’m sure it was an accident… for like the tenth time today.”

With a wide grin Riley bats her eyelashes in a mock innocent way, shaking her head as she bobs in to slam her left, then right fist, into the pads he’s holding with a soft exhale of air.

“Maybe your ass and my foot are just attracted to each other, who can really tell?”

Dropping her hands she sighs running her spar mit across her forehead, she drops back onto her backfoot and reaches for her bottle, taking a quick sip, she keeps her eyes on her husband.

“You doing alright though..? I’m not really hitting too hard or anything right? Cause I’m kind of really enjoying having you around for this side of things and I don’t want to start putting you off the closer I get to competing…”

Asher shakes his head dismissively.

“You’re doing fine. I want you to train like you normally would. If you switch things up because of me then that’ll defeat the purpose and only hurt you in the long run. I’m a big boy. I’ll handle whatever you throw my way… and then I’ll whine about it to Yas when you’re not around.”

He grins and while swinging one of the pads towards her head. She ducks with a slight laugh, moving over towards him she presses her palms against his chest and leans in with a small shake of her head.

“Usually I get in the ring with my training partners but… I’m not sure you even remember how to take a bump without a concussion and I’m rather attracted to you as presented so, we’re probably going to skip that one…”

He smiles as he leans in closer, his eyes fixed on hers.

“So you’re saying you’d love me less if I lost my wit and charm and just smiled and drooled most of the time? That doesn’t bode well for the future, when I’m old and incontinent and I need you to look after me.”

She gives another innocent smile, gently tapping against his chest.

“Don’t worry baby, if you ever get like that I’ll take care of you…”

“Good.”

He inches even closer, his lips brushing against hers as he holds her gaze.

“Hope I’m not distracting you too much.”

Running her hands down his chest and then back up she lifts one of her hands and playfully pushes a finger against his temple with another innocent grin. Before she drops her hand and pulls back with a small sigh, running a hand over her hair, pushing it back into the band that secures her ponytail.

“Can I ask you something?”

Her tone is tentative and soft as she steals glances at him between sips of her water bottle. His eyes stay fixed on her as he nods, his tone turning a little cautious.

“Sure. What’s on your mind?”

She steps back to lean against the wall, she looks down into her bottle of water with a slight frown.

“Why did you suddenly decide to start training with me?”

Asher’s head tilts and he seems surprised by the question.

“I told you why. I was tired of wrestling being the thing that tore us apart so I decided to position it as something that brought us together. We’ve reached compromises when it comes to your career. Usually those compromises consist of you stepping back an reevaluating or reprioritizing. I figured it was time I did as well.”

Putting down the pads he walks over and holds her by the shoulders.

“This is important to me because you are important to me. I’m done being dividing because we both know that no one can take us down when we work together. So that’s why. So that I can show you the love and support you deserve.”

Looking up into his eyes she smiles slightly and nods her head.

“I don’t think I can possibly put into words what it means to me that you’re doing this… So much has changed this year, when I came back to wrestling I never expected to be where I am now and I guess…”

She looks down at her feet, resting her forehead on his chest as she does.

“Sometimes it feels like I’m drowning, like it’s all just getting too much… having your hand there to grab onto when I get too tired kicking my legs? It’s irreplaceable.”

He reaches down, clasping each of her hands in his as he whispers softly.

“And I will never ever let you go. That’s a promise. No, that’s a fact.”

Looking up into his eyes she swallows hard, her voice is barely above a whisper.

“What if I can’t do it? If, that Championship was just a fluke? Seven, Ash, I lost seven fucking matches in a row and I have never felt lower than in my entire life. Not just low but scared… terrified… that I really was just some flash in the pan. My whole life I’ve had to deal with people telling me what I can do and for a few weeks it felt like they finally won… I never want to feel like that again.”

He exhales and nods while brushing a stray hair from her face.

“Two things. One, you know there’s more to life than wrestling. You could lose every match for the rest of your life and in my eyes and Yas’ eyes it wouldn’t take away from the person you are… as a mother, a wife or even as a friend. And the second thing… it wasn’t a fluke. If anything the seven were all flukes strung together in some cruel joke that proved just how much character you really have. Bend but don’t break. That’s what you taught us. That’s what you proved. Those people? They’ll never win because I know you won’t let them.”

Her eyes meet his and they’re swimming with tears, her bottom lip trembling just the tiniest amount.

“Wrestling is all I have ever wanted… I don’t want to be more, or do anything else and I don’t want to be a fucking failure! Look at Julian… he was amazing, he was at the top of his game. People feared him and now… now he’s a joke. I don’t have anyone to look up to because I keep passing by the people who taught me. Julian… Gavin… they’re not on my level, not anymore and that backslide? It could have turned me into just as big a joke in half the time…”

His tone is even and calming.

“But it didn’t. Think of it as a reality check. Keeps you honest. You pulled out of it and you’ll continue to face peaks and valleys throughout your career. If you don’t want to end up like Julian or Gavin then just keep being you. I told you a million times before and I’ll continue to tell you until you’re sick of hearing it… you’ve got this.”

She lifts her head just a little, leaning up to press her forehead to his she half closes her eyes, chewing at her bottom lip.

“It reminds me that I can’t afford to slow down; not like I did. I love you and Yas, I wouldn’t trade our little family for anything but - I can’t let that life overshadow why I came back, I can’t let it be my detractor… that’s why you being here means so much.”

Her eyes finally meet his as she breaks into a smile.

“Having you step into my world? It changes everything.”

He returns the smile.

“I know. That’s why I’m here. Now and whenever you need me.”

Her eyebrow flicks up as she thinks over that last comment, her eyes on his.

“Whenever?”

He nods and replies without hesitation.

“Whenever, wherever, however.”

She pauses and tilts her head to the side with a soft, hm sound, her eyes locked on his.

“Even if I asked you to be ringside? Be my corner man or some shit… you’d do that for me?”

He nods and even chuckles a little.

“You know what? I absolutely would. I can’t say I’m in love with the idea but I’m in love with you so I’d do it for you if that’s what you needed.”

She leans in and kisses him softly, her lips brushing over his for just a second before she whispers against his lips.

“It’s not…”

Pulling back she leans her hands back against his chest, her fingers dancing over the material of his shirt as she sighs softly.

“Having you at ringside would be a distraction, I’d be worried about you and not focusing on the match. But the very idea that you would do that for me? It’s leaps and bounds from where we were a few months ago and it truly shows me how dedicated you are to making us work… thank you.”

He chuckles a little before kissing her gently on the lips.

“I told you I was willing to compromise. I’m glad we’ve found middle ground… and I’m even happier that we found each other.”

She leans back a little more and raises her brows, gasping softly.

“Why, Mr. Sweet, are you trying to seduce me?”

He glances from side to side before leaning in and lowering his voice to a whisper.

“Is it working?”

She leans back into him with a soft sigh, breathing in his scent a low, quiet moan passes her lips before she gently clips him round the back of the head with her sparring glove.

“No! We have work to do now pick up those pads!”

Before she’s even finished her sentence she takes off running, laughing loudly as she goes. Asher takes a moment to sigh before he takes off after her, laughing as he follows.